
So, the new year is upon us, and things are going great! I (Richard) am teaching grades 6 and 7 for my third and final practicum, Laurie is busy as ever at the University's International Centre, and Charlie is dutifully chasing away cats from our front lawn.
School is really turning out to be a lot of fun. At first I was a little hesitant about this age group; I had always heard that you would have to be out of your mind to teach kids in middle school. I am happy to report that I have lost it! I love teaching this age group. It's funny, but kids at this age really want to learn.
Last semester I was at a high school here in Lethbridge. I found that my students were constantly looking to get out of doing work (and this was in a Drama class. Go figure). I think I figured out the main difference between the two age groups. In High School, if a student won't do his or her work, it's because he or she doesn't like you. If a middle school students won't do their work, it's because they either don't understand the assignment, or there is another factor at work (IE. learning disability, distractions at home, etc). My class is exceeding my expectations, with the exception of a few students who haven't handed in a number of assignments.
More to come.
R
No comments:
Post a Comment