Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Highly Illogical

That's right, folks. I am off the hook.

My Logic Final went really well. Thankfully there was a broader choice of questions to answer (the prof usually gives us 8 questions from the 20 we studied. We then have to pick four of those. It really narrows down what you have to choose from.) Anyway, I just finished writing, and I think I did fairly well.

If not,... I plan to appeal everything!

Oh, another thing. A few posts ago I mentioned that I had set up a blog as a study tool for my class. I invited everyone in the class to contribute their answers for the study guide, and hoped that we would be able to cover all the bases. I found it tremendously useful - not only did it allow me to constantly review the answers that were posted, but I was also able to practice working on the problems myself.

I guess that's why I really love being a teacher. When I don't know the material, it helps me to ask myself: how would you learn this? The real test comes when I try and teach it to someone else.

I was just saying to Laurie today that this class has been a lot like being in a play. If I have lines to memorize, I find it really difficult if I don't understand why I'm saying them. If the words don't make sense, then I struggle to say them the 'right' way. In this class, if I didn't know WHY the prof was teaching us what he was, I didn't know WHAT he was teaching us.

All in all, though, after being stuck in a lecture class all this time, I REALLY miss being a student in a Drama course. I guess I just want to lie on my back and scream like a monkey.

As Pastor Rick said when we visited Onoway at Easter, "Well Richard. You of all people were never wired in a logical way." Smart man.

3 comments:

Jon Coutts said...

I'm glad it went well!

You are going to be an amazing teacher, Ricky. I am soooo proud of you! (You should hear me bragging about you with some of the ladies in my "Moms and Tots" group)

One more thing: About missing drama courses, since when did you need to be in a drama class to lie on your back and scream like a monkey? You could totally get away with doing that almost anywhere.

~A

Anonymous said...

We too are extreeeeeeeeeemly proud of you - and love you to bits! Way to go - you make me wish that I could go back to school (well not really - but you know what I mean)

Stuart said...

Nicely put. Good call on the use of the blog for teaching. I'm learning web tools and loving it - thanks for using your excellent teaching skills to show me iLife.